Time Sensitive Information
Summer Library Availability
June 6th - July 27th (closed July 4th)
Tuesdays from 7am to 1pm
Thursdays from 2pm to 7pm
Summer Book Check Out
Upcoming 6th - 8th graders may check out 2 books at a time. Check out time period is for 2 weeks but can be renewed for a second 2 week time period.
Students may not check out books if:
(1) they still have a book out from the school year. That book must be returned to VCS Accounting office in the Intermediate Center. They are treated as textbooks.
(2) they have a book fine greater than $1.00. If there is a fine the parent can pay at the middle school.
Summer Accelerated Reading
AR tests will be available June 6th - July 27th and the first two days of school during the designated times that the library is open. The percent of completion of a student's goal will be their first grade in their Language Arts or Intensive Reading class.
6th graders need 10 points
7th graders need 11 points
8th graders need 12 points
The 2017-2018 Sunshine State book list has been announced.
Click on the following link to access the list and book descriptions: http://www.floridamediaed.org/uploads/6/1/4/2/61420659/6-8_2017-18_ssyra_annotated_list.pdf We want every student to make a goal to read 3 or more of these books this school year.
How are the Sunshine State books chosen? A panel of middle school librarians across the state of Florida read hundreds of books. They chose a variety of books that will appeal to the middle school students. Some books are long, some are short. There is always a variety of topics in hopes that there is at least one book to reach every 6th - 8th child's interest.
Search the Library for books
Need to find something to read or a book to use for research? Use the small search bar in the icon below to perform an automatic search of the MS library.
Reading is a joy, a privilege and the right of every student. As you select the library books you will read, please understand that every book is not the best choice for every student. If a book is unappealing or offensive to you in any way, please return it and select another. You know which reading materials best serve you and your own standards, reading levels, and beliefs.
AR Due Dates for 2017-18: 100% of your goal must be completed by the following dates each nine weeks: Oct. 12th, Dec 22nd, March 14th, May 11th
How many points do you need? Look in your VCMS Handbook for point designations. The handbook is in the front portion of your agenda.
Rewards for Reading
Weekday Mornings in the Library-
Come up to the Media Center by 7:30 a.m. to do a fun activity. Check my Google Calendar by joining my class (code: ry3r85u). Each activity will be done for 2 weeks. Explanations of each activity are in my Google Classroom and the calendar below.
Yearbooks for 2016-17 are still being sold at the school for $50. Visit Mrs. Brooks's Yearbook Teacher Connection Page for info.
Media Center Wish List
We accept gently used books appropriate for middle school students, ESPECIALLY SSYRA books (see link for list below) or newly released titles. PI hours will be given.
Lego sets, chess and/or checkers sets, markers, arts and crafts supplies, robotics supplies or kits.
AR Book Check
Curious if your book has an AR test? Want to know the level and points? Go to www.arbookfind.com to find out. You can search by title or author. You may also request a test be created for your book. Choose >teacher (instead of student) when you open the website. Then click on Suggest Quizzes at the top right-hand corner. Fill out the information and a test will be made.
Do you want to check your child's AR information from home?
Go to AR HomeConnect. You will use your child's log-in information for this site. Email me if you need your log in information.
1) The Calendar has "Volunteers Needed" dates posted.
2) Volunteer to mend books.
3) Watch for information about volunteering for our Book Fairs.
4) Volunteer for our end-of-the-year AR Reading Celebration
5) Parent Involvement Reading: The list of books is in the PDF below.
You must have a student enrolled at the middle school to check out and test on the chosen books. Parents will be awarded two PI hours for each book read with a passing score on the accompanying AR test. Both qualifying parents may test on the same book to earn a total of four hours. Please bring your PI card when you come to the media center to complete your quiz. After reading the book of your choice, you will need to take an AR test on that book in our school’s library. A score of 60% or higher is considered passing and once achieved, 2 hours of informational involvement time will be added to your parent involvement account. Limited copies of these titles will be available in our school’s library. Parental selections are as follows:
6) Service Hours – Are you a shopper instead of a reader? Students often request books that are "the next in the series," and we award PI service hours if parents are interested in purchasing books. We also accept book donations based upon the needs in our collection, and service hours are awarded based on the books' retail value and condition.
7) Wish List items: Lego sets, chess and/or checkers sets, markers, arts and crafts supplies, robotics supplies or kits.
MEDIA CENTER POLICIES
We have established the following policies to encourage students to uphold our core value of stewardship as they use media center resources:
- Two books may be checked out for two weeks and renewed for another two-week period.
- Late books and overdue fines greater than $1.00 will restrict signing out additional items.
- The replacement cost will be charged for lost or damaged books.
- Late books will be charged $.05 per day after a five day grace period.
- Student computers are provided solely for academic purposes from 7:15 AM- 4:00 PM. Additional computer labs are also available.
- Students are asked to be respectful of others and use the media center as a place for reading, studying, and conducting research in a quiet atmosphere.
- Students need a pre-signed pass from staff to come to the media center before, during, and after school. Teachers in before-care, the lunchroom, and guides in after-care will have passes.
ManyBooks.net – popular titles, recommendations, and recent reviews of more than 29,000 eBooks available for Kindles, Nooks, iPads, and most other eReaders. Best of all they’re FREE!
Project Gutenberg - over 42,000 free eBooks available for readers to download or read online
DIGITAL INFORMATION SOURCES
Infotrac – magazines, newspapers and reference resources with reliable, accurate information (username and password are available in media center)
Academy of Achievement - biographies about leaders and visionaries who have helped to shape our world
American Rhetoric - database of 5000+ full text, audio, and video versions of public speeches, sermons, legal proceedings, lectures, debates, interviews & recorded media events
Biography Base - collection of 5485 biographies
Infotopia – a search engine with trusted websites.
World Factbook – information on the history, culture, government, economy and geography of 267 countries.
Florida Electronic Library – (Login with the 14 digit # on your public library card)
State of Florida iTunes U – resources on Florida culture and history.
Florida Center for Instructional Technology - digital resources, such as maps, clip art and photos.
Owl Purdue – MLA and APA formatting style guide
EasyBib - bibliography and citation generator
Citation Machine – a guide for creating MLA and APA formatting
Media Center Acrobat(.PDF) Documents2017 Summer Reading Information - AR is required in middle school
Literacy Week 2017 - Jan 23 - 27th Contests and Events
Media Center Rules and Procedures -
Parenting books with AR tests (PI time) - earn 2 hours of Informational hours
Sunshine State book descriptions 2017-18 -
Sunshine State Books 2017-18 - VCMS challenges each student to read at least 3.
Yearbook Order Form - turn in form & payment to the front office
Media Center LinksBook Adventure - Create book lists, take tests, earn prizes!
InfoTrac Database-password and user available in media - Great Online Research Database
Just Read Families - Just Read Family Information
Juvenile Series and Sequels - Lists of hundreds of series. Easy searches!
Kids Reads! - Great descriptions of series books.
Scholastic - A varied resource for parent and student use
Sunshine State Books - Sunshine State Book Lists
Works Cited Format - Works Cited Format