Mrs. Marnie Miller « Teacher Connection / Documents / Calendar
Dear Parents and Students,
Below you will find important information. The calendar will provide the classwork/homework for the week. Please check Skyward often and email me with any concerns you may have.
SCIENCE PROJECT (Advanced Classes Only)
- Science Project is a requirement for all students in advanced science class.
- Students may choose between the GOLD path (Participate in school science fair) or the GREEN path (PowerPoint/Slides Presentation). Both paths complete all steps of the scientific process...the only difference is in the way that the data is presented. The GOLD path includes opportunities for extra credit and advancement onto regionals and state science fair. Additional awards may also be received with the GOLD path.
- Advanced students will be given access to the Science Project Guidelines on Google Classroom once school begins. If you scored double 4's, or above, on your 5th grade FSA math and reading, you will most likely be in advanced science...start thinking of some project ideas now.
- 6th Grade students are not allowed to do experiments related to vertebrate animals, microbiology, or humans (Including surveys) if they are choosing GOLD path. This is due to the very intense and difficult paperwork and rules required by ISEF, the science fair organization that we participate with.
Controlled Experiment-An experiment which involves changing only 1 factor (independent variable) and observing its effect on one thing, while keeping all other factors (variables) constant.
Variable- Factors that can change during an experiment
Independent (Tested or manipulated) Variable- The ONE factor that is changed/tested during a controlled experiment.
Dependent (Responding) Variable- Changes in response to the independent variable
Controlled Variable(s)- The variable(s) that are kept the same, or controlled, throughout an experiment.
Helpful Science Fair Websites:
- www.sciencenews.org - Science Fair topic ideas
- www.societyforscience.org - Science Fair forms
- www.sciencebuddies.org - Science Fair topic ideas
- www.all-science-fair-projects.com - Science Fair topic ideas
GOOGLE - CLASSROOM, CALENDAR, GOOGLE DOCS
Students can access Google Classroom by clicking on the link below. Google Classroom can be accessed from any computer, as well as iPads and smartphones. All handouts and PowerPoints will be available on this webpage. This is a great resource if you are absent.
Password: Was changed by the student after their first log in (Should be written in their agenda planner)
Google Classroom - access assignments, announcements, PowerPoints, and other information
PEARSON INTERACTIVE SCIENCE:
Online Textbook & Bonus Activities - Students will be receiving a username and password to access www.pearsonsuccessnet.com. At this web site, students will find their textbook online and additional activities to reinforce what they are learning in the classroom. A few days prior to the chapter tests students will have access to the online chapter practice test. They will also have the opportunity to get bonus points on for all chapter tests by completing these online practice tests and earning a 70% or above. In addition to earning bonus points, this will help them prepare/study for all chapter tests. Use the link listed below. It must be accessed using Google Chrome.
NEW LOG IN INSTRUCTIONS FOR PEARSON TEXTBOOK:
YOU MUST USE CHROME and the link below!
Login Link (both Internal and External from the network): Pearson Success Website
- Click on the link above and log in.(Remember...you MUST use CHROME)
- Username: villagesschool\ followed by their school username
- The password is the same one they have been using on the VCS computers. (IF STUDENTS CHANGE THEIR PASSWORD AT SCHOOL...IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY CHANGE ON PEARSON)
- Click on Things to Do (top right).
- The test will be waiting for you several days prior to the test date.
- Your score will be sent to me.
- Students that score a 70% or higher will receive bonus points on their chapter test.
Works Cited Creator- Helps organize your source information while completing research
Skyward - Access grades at any time using a computer, smartphone, or tablet
USA Test Prep - Review of information taught in textbook
Quizlet - Use this link to study vocabulary words before a vocabulary quiz for extra credit.
- 1st Period: https://quizlet.com/join/nDvzemMRQ
- 2nd Period: https://quizlet.com/join/EUNjMzwv3
- 3rd period: https://quizlet.com/join/FC4Te7U3H
- 4th Period: https://quizlet.com/join/SnF4rBSYn
- 6th Period: https://quizlet.com/join/bCRFzUe4b
- 7th Period: https://quizlet.com/join/htNadrDsY
IF YOU ARE ABSENT...
- Please locate your class period calendar below
- Click on the day that you are absent
- Read the information for both classwork and homework
- If you are absent on a day that we are reading and highlighting, please use the "About" tab in Google Classroom and the appropriate chapter folder to view the highlighted information/notes
- Any homework assignments/paperwork given out in class can also be found using the "About" tab in Google Classroom and the appropriate chapter folder to view the highlighted information/notes
Science Wish List for 2017-2018:
- Extra bedding (coconut fiber) for Sheldon, our classroom tortoise Sheldon
Tuesday, November 14th Science Fair - Set up from 3pm to 4pm in the gym
Wednsday, November 15th Science Fair - All day in the gym
Thursday, November 16th Science Fair - In the gym until 11am. Parents welcome to visit
***REMEMBER...All documents (Homework, learning goal rubrics, PowerPoint notes, etc) are posted on Google Classroom. Students will need their school username and password to access the website.
Earth/Space Science Syllabus 17-18 -