Mrs. Lauri Siverson « Teacher Connection / Documents / Calendar
Dear Parents and Students,
Please use the information below to help answer any questions you may have. All classwork and homework is posted each day on the teacher connection calendars.
6th Grade Earth and Space Science
2017-2018 6th Grade Students
Please use this webpage as a resource to help answer questions and to get the information you need. Please email me with any questions or concerns that you may have. All links will be updated at the start of the new school year.
SCIENCE PROJECT (Advanced Classes Only- 3rd and 4th Period)
***ALL INFORMATION RELATED TO THE SCIENCE PROJECT (DUE DATES AND INSTRUCTIONS) CAN BE FOUND IN GOOGLE CLASSROOM ("About" tab- "Original Science Project Guide-Both Paths").
***All completed example documents can be found..."About" tab- "Science Fair Documents- Lots of examples and original documents".
Science Fair Set-Up Day: November 14, 2017
- When you arrive for set-up with your board:
- Find your name and number on the list located on the window to the lobby or inside.
- This number indicates where you will set-up
- Pick up a colored rubric from YOUR TEACHER
- Go into the gym and find your number on a notecard. This is your setup location.
- Place your number (notecard) on the top right portion of your board. Judges use this number to identify your project.
- I encourage you to bring a tablecloth which you will lay down first. Please be considerate of those around you who may not want to share your tablecloth. You might need to fold it to fit your area only.
- Completely set up your board and then place your binder and log book in front of it.
- I also encourage you to bring some extra tape, scissors, and a pen or pencil. This is just in case something needs to be fixed on your board.
- You will then place your colored rubric ON TOP of all of your materials. This is how I find my students’ projects.
- The only things allowed at your table include your board, tablecloth, logbook, photobook (optional) and rubric. Please do not bring any items from your actual experiment (They will be removed before science fair)
- Please do NOT leave anything valuable with your project.
- Students may choose between the GOLD path (Participate in school science fair) or the GREEN path (PowerPoint/Slides Presentation). Both paths complete all steps of the scientific process...the only difference is in the way that the data is presented. The GOLD path includes opportunities for extra credit and advancement onto regionals and state science fair. Additional awards may also be received with the GOLD path.
- Advanced students have been given access to the Science Project Guidelines on Google Classroom and we do go through each step together in class.
- 6th Grade students are not allowed to do experiments related to vertebrate animals, microbiology, or humans (Including surveys) if they are choosing GOLD path. This is due to the very intense and difficult paperwork and rules required by ISEF, the science fair organization that we participate with.
Key Science Project Vocabulary:
Controlled Experiment-An experiment which involves changing only 1 factor (independent variable) and observing its effect on one thing, while keeping all other factors (variables) constant.
Variable- Factors that can change during an experiment
Independent (Tested or manipulated) Variable- The ONE factor that is changed/tested during a controlled experiment.
Dependent (Responding) Variable- Changes in response to the independent variable
Controlled Variable(s)- The variable(s) that are kept the same, or controlled, throughout an experiment.
IF YOU ARE ABSENT...
- Please locate your class period calendar below
- Click on the day that you are absent
- Read the information for both classwork and homework
- If you are absent on a day that we are reading and highlighting, please use the "About" tab in Google Classroom and the appropriate chapter folder to view the highlighted information/notes
- Any homework assignments/paperwork given out in class can also be found using the "About" tab in Google Classroom and the appropriate chapter folder to view the highlighted information/notes
- PLEASE NOTE: Any computer assignments with pre-assigned dates (Usually assigned at the beginning of a chapter) will be due on that date even if you are absent. The assignment automatically closes on it assigned time/date. There is always plenty of time to complete these assignments both in class and at home. There is NO LATE CREDIT.
NEW!!! Skward Password reset...from anywhere
Please use this link and follow directions to reset your student Skyward password.
EXTRA CREDIT OPPORTUNITIES
I offer extra credit opportunities prior to the vocabulary tests and the objective tests. Since these are the only opportunities for extra credit, please encourage your child to take advantage of them. In addition to earning extra points, they will also help your child prepare for the test.
- Extra Credit Opportunity before a Vocabulary test
- COMPLETE the following activities on Quizlet- Match, Learn, Write, and Flashcards (If you start them and not finish them you won't receive credit)
- Take the test on Quizlet and score 100%- you can take it as many times as you want.
- With the above requirements, students will earn 10 points that will be added onto their vocabulary test.
- Extra Credit Opportunity before an Objective test (Chapter test)
- Complete in full (with effort) the study guide and turn it in the day before the test. I will not accept partially completed study guides.
- Students may turn in the paper version or submit it online through Google Classroom
- If a student is going to be absent the day before the test, they must submit their study guide on google classroom or take a picture of their completed study guide and email it to me. No extra credit will be given for study guides turned in the day of the test.
- Students will earn 10 extra credit points added onto their objective test for completing and turning in their study guide.
PEARSON INTERACTIVE SCIENCE ONLINE INFORMATION
Online Textbook At this web site, students will find their textbook online and additional activities to reinforce what they are learning in the classroom. Use the link listed below. It must be accessed using Google Chrome.
NEW LOG IN INSTRUCTIONS FOR PEARSON TEXTBOOK:
Login Link (both Internal and External from the network): Pearson Success Website
Online Practice Test Instructions (Extra Credit Opportunity prior to Chapter tests-Pearsonsuccess)
- Click on the link above and log in.(Remember...you MUST use CHROME)
- Username: villagesschool\ followed by their school username
- The password is the same one they have been using for SKYWARD. (IF STUDENTS CHANGE THEIR PASSWORD AT SCHOOL...IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY CHANGE ON PEARSON)
- Username: villagesschool\ followed by their school username
- Click on Interactive Science
- Click on "To Do"
- Practice Test will appear a few days before actual test
Quizlet is an online source that can be used to study your science vocabulary. Prior to the vocabulary test, you may take the online practice test and earn bonus points if you score well. Below is the links needed to set up an account under the correct class. You will need an email account in order to create an account. Click on the appropriate link based on your class period and set up an account.
Username: When creating your username, please make sure to include your firstname and the first initial of your last name so that I can recognize whose account I am viewing.
Password: Create a password that you will remember. I do NOT have access to retrieving or resetting your password.
- 1st Period: https://quizlet.com/join/673abPHxY
- 2nd Period https://quizlet.com/join/JnhRwkSWD
- 3rd period: https://quizlet.com/join/kcumzrDj4
- 4th Period: https://quizlet.com/join/ewjRSxMQ9
- 6th Period: https://quizlet.com/join/KUTcMJ7rY
- 7th Period: https://quizlet.com/join/QeBraPENU
YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN UNDER YOUR CLASS IN ORDER TO RECEIVE EXTRA CREDIT!
GOOGLE - CLASSROOM, CALENDAR, GOOGLE DOCS
Students can access Google Classroom by clicking on the link below. Google Classroom can be accessed from any computer, as well as iPads and smartphones. All handouts and PowerPoints will be available on this webpage. This is a great resource if you are absent.
Password: Changed by the student after first log in (Should be written in their agenda planner)
SKYWARD - Skyward is our online gradebook that can be accessed at any time.
Students have their own username and password.
- USERNAME: Same user name as school computer (first initial followed by student ID number)
- PASSWORD: Same one they have been using on the VCS computers. (IF STUDENTS CHANGE THEIR PASSWORD AT SCHOOL...IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY CHANGE ON Skyward)
OTHER HELPFUL WEBSITES:
Google Classroom - Access assignments, announcements, PowerPoints, and other information
Quizlet.com- Vocabulary website
Skyward Gradebook- Access grades at any time using a computer, smartphone, or tablet
USA Test Prep-Review of information taught in textbook
- REG. ONLY: Ch. 8 Open Book Test opens (Will work on in class). Must be submitted by Sunday, November 19th (11:59pm)
- ADV:Ch. 8 Open Book Test opens(Will work on in class). Must be submitted by Sunday, November 19th (11:59pm)
- Ch. 8 Lesson Reviews are due on Skyward by 11:59pm (Students will receive plenty of time in class to complete)
***REMEMBER...All documents (Homework, learning goal rubrics, PowerPoint notes, etc) are posted on Google Classroomunder the "About" tab. Students will need their school username and password to access the website.