Food & Nutrition Wellness Initiatives
As a result of the increased concern about childhood obesity, Food & Nutrition Services (FNS) made a commitment to closely monitor food and beverages served in our county's school cafeterias. We continue to make appropriate changes to improve the nutritional profile of our menus and a-la-carte snack programs.
All menus are centralized and planned
- USDA nutrient requirements were strictly adhered to
- Implemented offer vs. serve and choices of at least two entrees at elementary schools and at least six choices at all other schools.
- Introduced healthy vending machines in the High School, offering nutritious choices.
- Provided a school-wide program offering a choice of fresh fruit at both school breakfasts and lunches.
- Developed a customized webpage with current information about our department, including menus, meal payment options, and healthy tips.
- The Wellness Policy was passed by the school board and implemented in all schools.
- All a-la-carte snack items sold are nutritionally analyzed to meet the guidelines of Wellness Policy. Decisions on snack items are made at the district level by our Executive Chef.
- Implemented more whole-grain entrée items such as rolls, toast, pizza and corn dogs.
- Introduced new healthy menu choices such a salads, wraps, sandwiches and yogurt parfaits
If you have a nutritional questions or concerns, please feel free to e-mail Jason.Poplaski@tvcs.org or access the links below.
Nutrition Standards for All Snacks Served (food items sold individually):
- will have no more than 35% of its calories from fat
- will have no more than 10% of its calories from saturated fat
- will have no more than 40% of its weight from added sugars
Allowed Beverages: water (plain and flavored); 100% fruit and vegetable juices and fruit-based drinks that contain at least 50% fruit juice; sport drinks containing 12 fluid ounces or less; unflavored and flavored low-fat and fat-free milk products.
Not Allowed: fruit-based drinks containing less than 50% real fruit juice and beverages containing caffeine.
Nutrition Information: Below is the link to all of the nutritional information for all items served in our school meal program. Information includes portion size, total calories, total fat, total saturated fat, carbohydrates and sodium. If you would like any additional information about products served, please contact our Executive Chef Jason.Poplaski@tvcs.org
TVCS Food and Nutrition Services invites you to use these links below to help you better understand the importance of winning the race on nutrition.
- TVCS Wellness Policy
- Meal Patterns
- USDA National School Lunch Program
- USDA Breakfast Program
- Dietary Guidelines
- Meal Charge Policy
This institution is an equal opportunity provider